Tuesday, May 5, 2009

San Diego News Network

The San Diego News Network is a promising experiment. Instead of a number of web sites focused on San Diego's various communities, the SDNN aggregates stories from 25 "media partners." The About Us page lists a lot of paid staff.

This short posting can't do the news site justice, but it occurs to me that "San Diego News" shouldn't have a Food and Drink Section Editor unless we're focused on local cuisine and restaurants. My first reaction was--I'll go to a food site for recipes and world-class restaurants.

But then I found editor Maria Hunt's manifesto and she does talk about area restaurants and recipes for seasonal produce. She also plans to reveal local markets and review local bars. Community News is about people, and Hunt seems to get it:

But the most important part of our Food + Drink section is you, the reader. So we want to know what you’re cooking at home, where you’re eating out and what you’re craving. Got a question on nutrition or dining? Ask us. We’ll post reader food photos and recipes and ideas on how to feed a family on a budget. If this whets your appetite, then I hope you’ll come be a part of our delicious discussion. So what do you feel like eating?

I'm also pleased that the editorial roster at SDNN includes an East County Editor and a North Inland Editor. If I lived in the East County, I think I'd be hitting that section and ignoring most of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment